Another call for improvements

shuttlebox shuttlebox at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 00:52:42 IST 2006

On 6/11/06, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
> Jules,
>
>         How about consideration of change to the src install script
> like on our redhat counterpart servers, those that use /opt like slackware
> et al takes extra time to move shuffle and and follow the upgrade process
> for MS and Langs requires intervention, so my question is whats wrong with
> just doing it the same way as RH version where it just updates and overwrites?
> This saves moving our mrtg and rules files and any customized reports
> etc as well as stuffing around with upgrade sripts :)
>
> Its still a good idiea I think to keep it under /opt as makes easy
> install from backups if something goes pear shaped,  rather than a
> symlink, make it a a true /opt/MailScanner.
>
> I have looked at it and I can see no ill effects for doing it this way,
> but thats me :)

That's a very bad idea if you ask me. I manage both RPM and non-RPM
systems running MS and I find it much easier and less risky to update
the non-RPM systems due to the symlink approach. I can take all day
during full production tinkering with the new system making sure every
config file is the way I want it before switching the symlink. If
something still goes wrong I'm back in a second to the old config.

With the RPM systems everything seems easier but you still have to
diff the files just the same and much worse - you have to do that
while the system is offline.

I would like it to stay the way it is.

--
/peter