Is sophos-autoupdate updating?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jun 10 15:09:39 IST 2006

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> In my maillog I see:
>
> Jun  9 17:07:16 tesla update.virus.scanners: Found sophos installed
> Jun  9 17:07:16 tesla update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for
> sophos
> Jun  9 17:07:17 tesla Sophos-autoupdate[1501]: Sophos V5 updated
>

> But if I try to manually update I get:
>
> [root at tesla ~]# /opt/sophos-av/bin/savupdate -v 5
> Starting automatic update...
> Opening configuration...
> Configuration opened
> Processing package 'PACKAGE'...
> Connection initialized
> Identified item to update 'sav-linux/manifest.dat'
> Identified item to update 'sav-linux/manifest.spec'
> Identified item to update 'sav-linux/cidsync.upd'
> Identified item to update 'sav-linux/common/'
> Identified item to update 'doc/'
> Identified item to update 'savi/'
> Identified item to update 'talpa/talpa-srcpack.tar.gz'
> Identified item to update 'talpa/manifest.dat'
> Identified item to update 'talpa/cidsync.upd'
> Identified item to update 'sav-linux/x86/'
> Identified item to update
> 'talpa/talpa-fedora/talpa-binpack-fedora_2.6.16-1.2111_FC5.tar.gz'
> Replicating contents in package directory
> '/opt/sophos-av/update/cache/LOCAL/PACKAGE'...
> Reading master index
> 'http://es-web.sophos.com/update/savlinux/master.upd'...
> Downloading http://es-web.sophos.com/update/savlinux/master.upd
> Failed to download http://es-web.sophos.com/update/savlinux/master.upd
> WARNING: Failed to read file
> 'http://es-web.sophos.com/update/savlinux/master.upd'
> WARNING: Failed to read master index
> 'http://es-web.sophos.com/update/savlinux/master.upd'
> ERROR: Failed to replicate contents in package directory
> '/opt/sophos-av/update/cache/LOCAL/PACKAGE'
> ERROR: Package 'PACKAGE' processing failed
> Updating Sophos Anti-Virus...
> ERROR: Failed to update Sophos Anti-Virus
> FATAL: Automatic update aborted
>

> And if I manually run "/usr/lib/MailScanner/sophos-autoupdate"  or
> "/usr/lib/MailScanner/sophos-autoupdate /opt/sophos-av" the maillog
> shows:
>
> Jun  9 18:39:02 tesla Sophos-autoupdate[2106]: Sophos V5 updater failed
>

> So is Sophos 5 really being updated?
I suspect not. The second command a couple of sentences up is the
correct one. You have to give the autoupdater the directory in which
Sophos is installed. Check that your
/etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf has the correct directory for the
installation of Sophos, or it might still be trying to update an old
Sophos v3 or v4 installation in /usr/local/Sophos. But running the
Sophos command "savupdate" really should work, start by configuring that
so that it works properly. Have you given it the right Sophos username
and password to get updates? The MailScanner Sophos V5 autoupdate script
uses this command to do the update, so that command on its own must work
first.

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.