lock type

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 09:57:35 IST 2006

David Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Nathan Olson wrote:
>

>>I could be wrong, but many of you seem to be missing his point.  He's
>>saying that the comment states the correct type will be determined
>>automatically if it is left blank.  This is not the case.
>

> Exactly!  The value is blank; the comment indicates that blank should
> result in "posix"; but the actual behaviour is "flock".  Documentation and
> action are inconsistent.  It is this inconsistency which is the primary
> issue that I am raising, for the benefit of other MS installers.
>
> It needs Julian to confirm that this mismatch (comment vs. action) of the
> default (blank) setting is real (not just my mis-reading), then to decide
> on the best way to resolve it.  (For what it's worth, I supsect that the
> comment represents what is really intended and that therefore the action
> is a code bug.)
>
> (In my own particular case I am explicitly setting "posix" for the moment.)

I can confirm the behaviour described by David. I have seen similar on
CentOS4. I manually set the lock type to posix in MailScanner.conf

That said, I see a small percentage of "orphaned" df files in the
incoming queue. These appear to have been dealt with my MailScanner but
not properly cleaned up. Every few months I run a script to clean these
orphans out.

CentOS v4.3
sendmail 8.13.1 (stock rpm with backport patches)
MailScanner v4.50.15

GREG

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445