lock type

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 09:36:59 IST 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Nathan Olson wrote:

> I could be wrong, but many of you seem to be missing his point.  He's
> saying that the comment states the correct type will be determined
> automatically if it is left blank.  This is not the case.

Exactly!  The value is blank; the comment indicates that blank should
result in "posix"; but the actual behaviour is "flock".  Documentation and
action are inconsistent.  It is this inconsistency which is the primary
issue that I am raising, for the benefit of other MS installers.

It needs Julian to confirm that this mismatch (comment vs. action) of the
default (blank) setting is real (not just my mis-reading), then to decide
on the best way to resolve it.  (For what it's worth, I supsect that the
comment represents what is really intended and that therefore the action
is a code bug.)

(In my own particular case I am explicitly setting "posix" for the moment.)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :