Who does RBL checks - MailScanner or SpamAssassin?

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Thu Jun 8 10:08:25 IST 2006

Res wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>>>
>>> Ever tried running S.A on servers that do serious work, and want your
>>> mail out of the queue and delivered the same week ? :)
>>> (I do run SA on the machines that can handle it though, but thats
>>> like 2 out of many)
>>
>> Most of us run servers that pretty much do serious work ;-).. to each
>> his/her way. You can use RBLs at:
>>
>> SpamAssassin: Best way to use RBLs as per my POV.. the bad part being
>> that mails originating from ROKSO (spamhaus) are accepted and then
>> tagged.
>

> I'd like to know how your customers get mail so fast, at a constant rate
> avg of 500 messages per minute, SA can not hope to keep up, after 5 mins
> the queue was at about 1900 *to be* processed, where MailScanner with
> anti virus and content checking and all that stuff on it usually keeps
> up fine anbd people get mail seconds later, SA was tunned to best
> performance by recommendations, and otehr recommendations that it should
> be used on high end networks (i know why) if I left that wretched load
> of crap on, my customers would get mail a week later and some probably
> months later and id be replaced pretty quickly :)
>
> But  like I said, on some of our smaller more dedicated mail servers we
> do use it, because on those that do 50 msgs a minute SA can keep up.

<blow your own trumpet>
I do about sustained 12 mails per second for a couple of hours in a day
which equals (12*60*60*2 = 86400) and about the twice that throughout
the day totaling about 225000 mails per day between 2 servers.. no bad i
guess. Both servers are fully loaded MailScanner/Postfix/SA/DCC/Pyzor
and add BAYES/MailWatch (on a separate server), 3 antivirus engines and
SARE to the list. This is not counting mails rejected at the RBL level.

Average mail delivery time is 10-15 seconds to the delivery servers. And
i haven't done any advanced tuning (save using TMPFS) on these servers.
Of course it helps to have Dual Processors and 3 GB RAM with SCSI Disks
(Dell PE1850).
</blow your own trumpet>

I understand people on this list process a lot more mails with a similar
setup.

- dhawal