Body text garbled UTF-8/BASE64 combination

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jun 4 14:53:15 IST 2006

Chris Green wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have been experiencing a strange issue with either Mailscanner or
> Postfix which I am stuck with. I have built a machine as per the
> instructions at www.piratefish.org - essentially a Debian Sarge box
> with MailScanner, Postfix, SpamAssassin and ClamAV. Instructions have
> been followed verbatim. The vast majority of email is relayed with no
> issues at all, 90% of spam is canned
Only 90%? You should be able to do a lot better than that. I usually
manage 98% with no reported false positives. And I have 2000 very fussy
users who would scream at me if they discovered any messages went
missing. Make sure you are using at least DCC, Razor, SURBL and
rules_du_jour in addition to plain SpamAssassin.

I don't like their recommendations very much: using all that lot in
"Spam List" is a sure way to get a very slow server. Stick with the
recommended default values for this, all the others are checked much
better by SpamAssassin anyway.

Their whole setup is a pretty simple, slightly naive, setup. If you must
use Debian then fine, but make sure you have all the extra plugins to
SpamAssassin not only installed but also correctly configured.
Out-of-the-box, SpamAssassin won't use DCC, Razor, SURBL and so on
without being told to, and that requires edits to a fairly well-hidden
configuration file. The easy-to-install ClamAV and SpamAssassin package
on the MailScanner web site does this lot for you, for example.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.