MCP-Checker (MCP timed out) - Answer: MCP spamassassin timing out

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 14:22:13 IST 2006

Have identified the cause and found a work around but am worried that a
simple message could give rise to this problem.

Am getting the MCP checker "timed out" message because the invocation of
'spamassassin' that is run for MCP processing is timing out for the
messages in question. It will do this even if I have an _empty_ 'mcp'
subdirectory!

I note from MailScanner.conf in 4.51.6-1 that the timeout values for the
MCP and non-MCP invocations of 'spamassassin' are different. For the
former it is only 10 seconds while for the latter it is 75 seconds! That
explains why I only see the probem when the MCP check is done. The
default values set by Julian are:

SpamAssassin Timeout = 75
MCP SpamAssassin Timeout = 10

The work around was to change in MailScanner.conf the 'MCP SpamAssassin
Timeout' value from 10 to 75 (seconds).

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.
Any opinion expressed above is mine and not that of Newcastle
University.