[Clamav-users] Problem with internal logger

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 09:55:28 IST 2006

On 2 Jun 2006, at 08:39, Anthony Peacock wrote:

> Hi Julian,
>
> Julian Field wrote:

>>> and then sets the mirror to US ?
>> No, as I don't know what country you might be in. It just gets it
>> working for you, saving new users a nasty catch which will confuse
>> them entirely. Doing things like this annoys me, as they don't
>> produce a nice error message telling the user what they need to do
>> to alleviate the problem. It's a case of "Switch this option on to
>> make anything work, default is off". I know I do it myself, but I
>> do at least generate a polite error message which tells the user
>> they need to set their company name in MailScanner.conf.
>> I am considering removing it from MailScanner.
>> If the %org-name% has not been configured, then I just use the
>> domain name by using Sys::Hostname::Long which is already needed
>> by SpamAssassin so most people have it installed already. I
>> replace the hostname with www to get the website address, and put
>> the same in %org-long-name% as %org-name%.
>> Does that sound rather better than the current "I'm not going to
>> start" behaviour.
>
> I wouldn't really be in favour of this.
>
> A side-effect of the current behaviour is that it forces the person
> installing the system to at least open and look at the config file
> first.
>
> I don't think anyone should be installing something as important as
> mailscanner without at least understanding what the default options
> are doing.

But I really hate all those systems which are "broken by default".
Very often after installing something I want to try starting it up to
see if it runs at all or whether I still have stuff left to install
such as other Perl modules in MailScanner's case. The fact that
"service MailScanner start" doesn't work until I start wading into
config files, of which I know neither the name nor the location,
really annoys me with other systems.

So I don't want to inflict the same annoyance on other people.

I want the system to be intelligent and make up sensible settings for
me until I find where the config files are and how to edit them.

Always imagine yourself as a complete newbie installing it for the
first time, only half knowing what you are doing with a command-line
at all having been brought up on Windows systems.
--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.