[Clamav-users] Problem with internal logger

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 08:39:12 IST 2006

Hi Julian,

Julian Field wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2006, at 16:30, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>
>> Julian Field wrote on Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:04:52 +0100:
>>
>>> My easy-to-install ClamAV+SA package configures freshclam.conf and
>>> spamd.conf for you, by commenting out the "Example" lines.
>>
>> and then sets the mirror to US ?
>
> No, as I don't know what country you might be in. It just gets it
> working for you, saving new users a nasty catch which will confuse them
> entirely. Doing things like this annoys me, as they don't produce a nice
> error message telling the user what they need to do to alleviate the
> problem. It's a case of "Switch this option on to make anything work,
> default is off". I know I do it myself, but I do at least generate a
> polite error message which tells the user they need to set their company
> name in MailScanner.conf.
>
> I am considering removing it from MailScanner.
> If the %org-name% has not been configured, then I just use the domain
> name by using Sys::Hostname::Long which is already needed by
> SpamAssassin so most people have it installed already. I replace the
> hostname with www to get the website address, and put the same in
> %org-long-name% as %org-name%.
>
> Does that sound rather better than the current "I'm not going to start"
> behaviour.

I wouldn't really be in favour of this.

A side-effect of the current behaviour is that it forces the person
installing the system to at least open and look at the config file first.

I don't think anyone should be installing something as important as
mailscanner without at least understanding what the default options are
doing.

--
Anthony Peacock
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that