Another call for improvements

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Thu Jun 1 19:14:04 IST 2006

Dave Strydom wrote:

> On 6/1/06, Dennis Willson <taz at taz-mania.com> wrote:
>

>> I would like the configuration file to be put into a database
>> (optionally). If there's an option in the config file that is the name
>> of the file that does database accesses for the configuration
>> information then it ignores the rest of the file and begins to call that
>> function to get the configuration information. This would make keeping
>> multiple copies of MailScanner correctly sync'ed up much easier and
>> allow an extension of MailWatch to make configuration changes.
>>
>> ----------------------------------
>> Dennis Willson
>> mailto:taz at taz-mania.com
>> http://www.taz-mania.com
>>
>> Owner / Operator, Kepnet Internet Services
>

> Although this may seem like a good idea, my only concern about
> something like this is that the chance of a mysql server crashing
> compared to a txt file crashing is hugly different.
>
> Also, is it not quicker to read from a txt file, than it would be to
> do sql queries?
>
> Dave

Each of my MailScanner installations has its own MySQL server with
circular replication so a MySQL crash will at most only bring down one
of the MailScanner installations.
However I assume (I may be wrong here, Julian would have to say for
sure) but that the config file is only read in on startup and the
variables stored in memory. If MailScanner
read the txt config files over and over every time it needed some
variable that would be much slower than using SQL.

Besides, I only mean for this to be an option, my suggestion is that it
can do either txt files or database.

--

Dennis Willson
mailto:taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Owner / Operator, Kepnet Internet Services