A quick and easy performance improvement

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Wed Jul 26 21:42:10 IST 2006

Julian Field a écrit :
>> Separate partitions also allow different mount options, and in the
>> event of data loss due to power outages, etc, it is more likely that
>> the system will still come up, making it easier for you to restore
>> from backup as necessary.
>
> With journalling filesystems this is totally irrelevant. They just
> replay the log (a matter of milliseconds) and come back up.

Unless there hasn't been a check in more than 6 months... then the check
is forced at next reboot... not necessarily when you would have liked it...

I've had problems with both mailstores in the last 6 months and fsck on
400G partitions with zillions of files takes a lot of time!  On our new
servers I created 40 10G partitions (easy to manage with Cyrus).

Denis

--
   _
  °v°   Denis Beauchemin, analyste