Denial Of Service attack handling by MS 4.54.6

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 18:15:44 IST 2006

Please can you put a copy of the message on a web URL somewhere and mail
me (off-list!) the URL so I can go and get it?

What happens (or should happen) is this:
Message Batch is scanned at one go
Scanner times out
Message Batch is scanned one message at a time, looking for the nasty
message
Scanner times out on the nasty message
DoS attack detected.
Message should be handled as a normal virus infection, not a silent one.

I could really do with a copy of the message if at all possible.

I certainly wouldn't advise setting the Virus Scanner Timeout any higher
than the default (5 minutes). You could easily reduce it to 2 minutes on
most systems, my default is very conservative.

It will always take at least double that figure to process the batch,
but I'm a bit worried by the factor of 4 you are seeing. Hence the need
to test it.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.