MailScanner, sendmail & SpamAssassian

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 16:29:57 IST 2006

On 25 Jul 2006, at 16:22, Golden, James wrote:

> It looks like it was installed by the rpm.  Which according to the
> documentation is not the recommended way.  I have 2 questions then:
>
> Can this be corrected so it doesn't use spamd, if so where can I
> start looking for a complete answer on how to do it?

Uninstall the RPM of it, and then use my easy-to-install package of
ClamAV+SpamAssassin on the MailScanner downloads page. That will not
only build it safely from source for you, but it will do a whole host
of setup things for SpamAssassin and ClamAV and tell you what you
still need to do yourself (there's one bit my script can't do for
legal reasons).

Building it from source gives the same result as using CPAN, but
using my package takes care of all the required modules to make it
all work together properly, which saves lots of headaches.

> OR is the best way to uninstall the rpm, and to install using CPAN?
>
> Thanks for all the help!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> James Golden
>
> On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 00:06 +0100, Julian Field wrote:
>> Golden, James wrote:
>> > I am having some trouble understanding something.  I have been
>> having an
>> > issue with AWL.  I have been trying to reset an individual
>> email's score
>> > and it doesn't seem to work.  In my research I discovered that
>> > MailScanner with sendmail is supposed to run as root (according
>> to the
>> > book).  It also seems that Spamassassin is running as root as
>> well.  On
>> > top of that spamassassin seems to be invoked as spamd.
>>
>> MailScanner does not use spamd. It calls it directly through its Perl
>> libraries (more direct, more efficient, does not rely on spamd not
>> falling over).
>>
>> >  I emailed this
>> > to the Spamassassin mailing list and someone suggested that I
>> Post it
>> > here.  Is this configuration correct.  Should spamd be running
>> as root.
>> >
>> > If that is the way it is supposed to run, why might I not be
>> able to run
>> > this command as root and have it work:
>> >
>> > spamassassin  --remove-addr-from-whitelist=joe at somwhere.com
>> > <mailto:joe at somwhere.com>
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >

>> I don't know the exact syntax for the spamassassin script, but the
>> basic
>> idea should be okay.
>>
>> --
>> Julian Field
>> www.MailScanner.info
>> Buy the MailScanner book at www.MailScanner.info/store
>>
>> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
>>
>> --
>> believed to be clean.
>> MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support.

Julian Field
MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk

believed to be clean.