Rejecting Spammers

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 17:22:57 IST 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Rick Chadderdon wrote:

> Anyway, many bulk-mail applications allow you to forge the X-Mailer
> header.  I wouldn't block on that. Check this out:
> http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/spammer.html Your call, though.

Well it's worth blocking on the X-Mailer: headers produced by known
spamming software, of course.  Anyone who forges an X-Mailer header of
such software deserves everything they get probably!  But you're correct
that The Bat! is legit and often placed in the X-Mailer: by spammers (I'd
not seen that web page - very useful).

I haven't checked to see if it gets hit for a quite while, but I have a
(conservative) list of some of them in my MTA configuration.  I presume
SpamAssassin will also detect and score some too.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK