Rejecting Spammers

Rick Chadderdon mailscanner at yeticomputers.com
Thu Jul 20 17:00:52 IST 2006

John Rowan wrote:
> Long story short, does anyone here know of additional methods of
> turning these morons away upon connection rather than accepting their
> junk then having to have procmail examine / trash them?
>
> [...]

Greylisting helps quite a bit for me - you might want to try it out.

The Bat!, by the way, is a legitimate mail client.  I used it for a
couple of years, only dropping it when I'd switched almost all of my
mail servers away from POP3 to IMAP.  (The Bat! treats - or used to
treat, anyway - IMAP mail in pretty much the same way it does POP3
mail.  Not what I was looking for.)  Anyway, many bulk-mail applications
allow you to forge the X-Mailer header.  I wouldn't block on that.
Check this out:  http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/spammer.html  Your
call, though.

Rick