A Few Post Install Questions

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Wed Jul 19 17:46:58 IST 2006

Phillip Udel wrote:
> I finished the install in production and it was really smooth to set up.  :)
> So I have a few setup questions I thought I would ask the group.
>
> Currently I am running a 5 for Spam Actions and I quarantine them and a 9
> for the High Scoring Spam Actions witch are deleted. This might be hard to
> answer, but would that be a normal setup for a company?

Depends on the company. We tag, deliver, attachment {SPAM}, but we are
an ISP (who does email for companies too). You _will_ see some
legitimate email quarantined and possibly some deleted at those levels.
You might want to set the delete threshold to a higher value (15 or so),
especially if you are quarantining spam, at least for a few months to
see what your false positive rates are. In the worst case, you'll end up
with a very large quarantine, but that should tell your boss that your
system is catching LOTS of spam!

> Would it be unwise to push up the Spam score on RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET  and
> a few other list servers to something like 15 to force the mail into a high
> score and force the delete?  I figure if they are in the lists then I don't
> need them.

If you are going to do that, then you might as well run the RBL checks
in your MTA instead and send back an error on connect instead of
deleting mail.
Ken A
Pacific.Net