[Fwd: Postfix 2.3 stable release available]

Nick Smith nick.smith67 at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 15 01:25:10 IST 2006

On 7/12/06, Mike Jakubik <mikej at rogers.com> wrote:
> Just an FYI for postfix users. Bonus points for the first one to try and
> see if it works with MS :)

Well, in addition to the good stuff listed in the release
announcement, there is the
not-quite-so-good-and-potentially-very-alarming-stuff mentioned here:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2006-06/0345.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE. Once milter support is added to Postfix 2.3 production
snapshots and later appears in the 2.3.0 production release, versions of
MailScanner designed for ALL earlier versions of Postfix will ROUTINELY
corrupt mail (not just sometimes as they do now).

DO NOT use Mailscanner implementations for earlier Postfix releases with
Postfix 2.3. It was always discouraged, now it is definitely outright
broken. You have been warned.

I really don't want to fan any flames, but at the same time I'd like
to know exactly how worried to be about statements like this. Speaking
personally, I have yet to see a single issue (up to 2.2.10) caused by
MailScanner manipulating Postfix queue files (~350k messages per day),
but that is not to say that problems have never been caused (eg as
referred by the OP from the thread above)

I'd very much like to look at milter-ahead or something similar to cut
down accepting messages to unknown users. Is there any genuine reason
to believe that MS 4.54.5 will cause mass destruction as implied here?

Thanks

Nick