How does SA auto white-list works?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Thu Jul 13 20:09:34 IST 2006

René Berber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the SA auto white-list feature with MailScanner 4.54.6, and there's
> something confusing in the result I'm seeing: a score is added if the address is
> white listed.  Shouldn't it be subtracted?

Despite it's name, the AWL is NOT a whitelist. It's called that for lack of any
better name that isn't huge.

The AWL is really a "History-based average score tracking system with automatic
whitelist and blacklist behaviors resulting from factoring past performance into
current scores".  But HBASTSAWBBRFPPICS is a rather long acronym.

Please read:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist

and

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay