DCC config and SA lint complaints

Aaron K. Moore amoore at dekalbmemorial.com
Fri Jul 7 14:01:20 IST 2006

Arthur Sherman wrote:
> It should be in MailScanner.conf, I believe:
> #use_dcc
>
> As for the path...
> Funny, I had it in the different order and it worked with no problem
> (pls mention diff. path!)
>
> dcc_home  /var/dcc
> dcc_path  /var/dcc/bin/dccproc

You might want to look into running dccifd instead of using dccproc.

>From the dccifd manpage:

"Dccifd is a daemon intended to connect spam filters such as SpamAssasin
and mail transfer agents (MTAs) other than sendmail to DCC servers.  The
MTA or filter dccifd which in turn reports related checksums to the
near-
est DCC server.  DCCIFD then adds an X-DCC SMTP header line to the mes-
sage.  The MTA is told to reject the message if it is unsolicited bulk."

I switched to using this method with SpamAssassin a couple of years ago.
It greatly reduced the load I was seeing from all of the forks to call
dccproc.

I have set the following items in the SpamAssassin config file.
use_dcc 1
dcc_home /var/dcc
dcc_path /var/dcc
dcc_timeout 15

Depending on your setup you might also need to set dcc_dccifd_path.

dcc_dccifd_path STRING

This option tells SpamAssassin specifically where to find the dccifd
socket. If dcc_dccifd_path is not specified, it will default to looking
in dcc_home If a dccifd socket is found, it will use it instead of
dccproc.

--
Aaron Kent Moore
Information Technology Services