FOSS, Science, and Public activism

proclus at gnu-darwin.org proclus at gnu-darwin.org
Tue Jul 4 19:19:37 IST 2006

On  3 Jul, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
> proclus at gnu-darwin.org wrote:
>>
>> FOSS projects need to hear this message from time to time, IMHO.
>>

> Still, you have to acknowledge the message is arguably off topic.

It is only arguably off-topic, because parts of the message are germane
by analogy, or examples of where the values underlying FOSS development
should be pushed up into other arenas.  We can help push forward that
fortunate development, because as FOSS developers we are part of the
reason that is happening, a positive feedback loop in which we can
participate further.  FOSS itself benefits from our efforts.

> You
> could have observed better etiquette by labeling your post as "off
> topic", or apologizing. Insisting your point - however valid it may be -
> may be construed by some individuals as discourteous.

It is not off-topic or discourteous only because some find it arguably
so, and the method was necessary in order to get this important message
out to the appropriate forum, such as this one.

> Another suggestion could be to make your post short (and label it OT for
> off topic). Maybe 3 lines. Something like:
>
> Blablabla open source blabla FOSS blabla activism blable.
>
> For more information visit http://blabla.com/blable/bloobloo.html
>

> I just hope I don't get flamed back for a simple difference of
> opinion... :-)

Thank you for your suggestions, but I have given the method due
consideration as indicated at the end of the first post.  We can agree
to differ about this, if you like, and I have no desire to flame you
;-}.

Regards
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/