Best Way to Control Relaying?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jul 3 20:09:33 IST 2006

Muhammad Nauman spake the following on 7/1/2006 12:53 PM:

>>> No i telnet it on port 25 from another machine .
>>>
>>> where i could find any error abt it ?
>>>

>> Did you recompile the access file? Usually "make -C /etc/mail" or
>> "makemap hash < /etc/mail/access > /etc/mail/access.db" and then
>> restart the sendmail process (or MailScanner) should do it.
>>
>> I never have to use "AUTH: OK" and "*: REJECT" ... it's set up that
>> way implicitly.
>
> how are you controlling your RELAYING feature then  ?
>
> yes i did all that  --
> makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access
>
> and have restart mailscanner ( or only just sendmail ) but the output is
> same
>
> where as - if i do check the option in my mail client to AUTH SMPT -
> then it verifies and works fine
>
> the PROBLEM is - why is it not blocking those who are not AUTHORIZING  !!!
>
> its like an OPEN RELAY - with out it

You stated above that you restarted sendmail, but sendmail should not be
started by itself. It should be stopped from starting in any init scripts, and
MailScanner will start it.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and