Help! [MailScanner] <defunct>

Mordur Ingolfsson ms at 1984.is
Sun Jul 2 00:01:14 IST 2006

I had the same problem. I tried everything suggested in this thread and
more, f.ex. downgrading to Debian version stable, (4.41.3-2) but that
one wont even start. Not a single complaint or anything in syslog. Just
nothing.

Since the incoming mailqueue was filling up and nobody got their mail
yesterday, I made exim deliver directly from the incoming queue and thus
cleared it., but all went unscanned, of course.   I have since had
mailscanner working allright, it seems. There are consistently 4-5
zombie mailscanner processes now, but mail gets delivered and there are
5 normal, or "unzombied" processes waiting.

It seems that whenever a batch gets scanned the mailscanner process
handling int gets zombied. Is this normal?