OT: RNDS or whatever it was yesterday

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Jan 24 16:41:41 GMT 2006

Steve Campbell wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> These lost channel emails are coming at an incredible rate, with a
> different IP for each message. They are indeed from spammers, and to
> mostly unknown users, so they get dropped, but after sendmail has
> accepted them. A little bit of a load problem. iptables rules would not
> be a likely solution since they are from the varying IPs.
>
> Thanks all, for the help
>
> Steve
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Neuman van der Hans"
> <alex at nkpanama.com>

Rules in iptables would be good if it were dynamic - that is, usually
you'll find more than a few repeated requests from the same IP. Some
form of throttling would be good if it could be set on a temporary
basis. The other remedy would be to implement greylisting.

In any case, these "lost input channel" messages happen before sendmail
actually accepts the message, not after (AFAIK).