Change default Lock Type for sendmail ?

Pentland G. G.Pentland at soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 23 15:54:11 GMT 2006

>From sendmail 8.12.5 release notes...

<snip>

NOTE: Linux appears to have broken flock() again.  Unless
			the bug is fixed before sendmail 8.13 is
shipped,
			8.13 will change the default locking method to
			fcntl() for Linux kernel 2.4 and later.  You may
			want to do this in 8.12 by compiling with
			-DHASFLOCK=0.  Be sure to update other sendmail
			related programs to match locking techniques.

</snip>

So from sendmail 8.12.5 it was set-able easily in site.config.m4.
Trouble is that sendmail on BSD/Solaris will quite possibly be using
flock still.  I don't think there is an easy way to detect it.

I think it may be easier for newbies to change it but theres still a lot
of sendmail 8.12.x out there.

just my thoughts,

Gary