Sendmail not relaying

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Wed Jan 18 19:54:41 GMT 2006

Lance Haig wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I have been watching the mail log and have seen this error
>
> server1.megas.co.za [196.31.65.238] (may be forged)
>
> This is a valid mail server on the guys site
>
> my mailertable looks like this
>
> domain.co.za	esmtp:[xx.xx.xx.xx]
>

> I can send e-mail to his site but he cant send mail out through my
> server
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Lance

There seems to be some problem with your DNS I think:
G:\>nslookup server1.megas.co.za
Server:  city-dc1-w3s.cbj.local
Address:  199.58.55.25

*** city-dc1-w3s.cbj.local can't find server1.megas.co.za: Non-existent
domain

G:\>nslookup 196.31.65.238
Server:  city-dc1-w3s.cbj.local
Address:  199.58.55.25

Name:    server1.megas.co.za
Address:  196.31.65.238

I can resolve your IP so your reverse zone is OK, but your forward zone
doesn't seem to have an A record for server1.megas.co.za.

Might look into that.

Also, when you say "domain.co.za	esmtp:[xx.xx.xx.xx]", is the
word domain just a placeholder for the actual domain?  That is, does the
mailertable actually say:

  megas.co.za	emspt:[xx.xx.xx.xx]

(where the xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP of the mailserver to send to).

If it literally says "domain.co.za" you need to change the word domain
to the actual domain you want to relay to (unless domain.co.za is really
the name of the domain).

HTH...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500