4.50.8: some comments

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 15:52:05 GMT 2006

On 16 Jan 2006, at 15:29, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Julian,
>    I rolled out 4.50.8 this morning, cool, working great so far.
> Some comments about what I found with it:
>
> * Tracking a batch:  Now that we have a cool timing feature for
> batches of messages, I wonder if batches could be uniquely
> identified by something like a "bid" (batch id number, like pid),
> eg:
>
>   New Batch 12345: Found 4 messages waiting
>   New Batch 12345: Scanning 1 messages, 9020 bytes
>   Batch 12345 processed in 4.11 seconds
>
> Where "12345" is the bid number.  Just a suggestion...
>
> * lint feature:  When I ran this, it said:
>
>    ./MailScanner --lint
>    Read 696 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
>    Config: calling custom init function IPBlock
>    Could not use Custom Function code
> MailScanner::CustomConfig::InitIPBlock,
>    it could not be "eval"ed. Make sure the module is correct with
> perl -wc at
>    /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/Config.pm line 798
>    Checking SpamAssassin errors (if you use it), this may take some
> time...
>    Using SpamAssassin results cache
>    Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
>    SpamAssassin reported no errors.
>
> I'm probably one of the few people who use IPBlock.

Dunno about that one.

> * perl modules: What's up to date?
>
> The first thing I do with a new install is comment out the perl
> modules install portion of install.sh.  I'm paranoid, and I want
> to do this by hand.  Then I compare what you have in perl-tar to
> what I have installed in perl (I use pmdesc from pmtools, see CPAN),
> and also compare to what CPAN has for the modules.  I tend to run
> the latest versions from CPAN, and MailScanner upgrades are the
> perfect time to check CPAN for new stuff.  Here's a comparison
> of yours versus CPAN:

I don't always track the absolutely latest versions. I know the
versions I have work, and I don't like randomly upgrading to the
latest code they publish without some reassurance that there's a good
reason to do it.

Have you actually had any faults that can be isolated to bugs in the
versions of Perl modules which I ship?

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.