Hard Lock

Information Services lbcadmin at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 9 17:03:28 GMT 2006

I am going to check into the HDs.  All three systems have the exact same
HDs in them.  All the same sw is running on them also, except for squid
on the two mailscanner boxes.  I will also try the suggestions posted in
a previous reply to this also.  I definitely need to resolve this issue.
I don't want my production systems to be locking up, especially not at
0200 hours.

On 1/7/06, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
      On 06/01/06, Information Services <lbcadmin at gmail.com> wrote:
      (snip)
      >  clamav-0.87

      Update cöam asap.
      (snip)

      >  First,
      >
      >  When I reboot the systems, it takes about 20 minutes
      before the login
      > screen appears. I am able to shell into the systems
      themselves and work on
      > them, but I would like to resolve why they don't bring the
      login screen up
      > right away after the boot process. The GUI either sets at
      the blank screen
      > with the black curser outlined in white and is an 'X'
      symbol, or at the
      > progress bar at 100 percent until it finally shows the
      login screen.

      Assuming you are referring to a graphical logon screen, this
      is
      usually a display manager for X.... Which in turn usually
      means that
      extreme slowness is due to a network misconfiguration. Having
      no valid
      name lookup (in /etc/hosts) for the loopback IF address
      usually has
      this effect... So check that all names (including loopback)
      resolve as
      they should. If you have it configured for a X font sever,
      check that
      it is running, and that you have no network issues in
      reaching it.

      >  Issue 2:
      >
      >  I have been havin problems with both servers locking up.
      One server more
      > than the other.

      (snip)
      Nothing jumps out and grabs ones attention.... So suspect the
      usual
      things: HW and kernel. One is easy to change.... so why not
      try your
      hand on doing a "custom kernel";-). since both machines are
      more or
      less of an age, and fairly similar in makeup..... shoddy
      drivers come
      to mind, as well as diverse age-related cr*p.

      --
      -- Glenn

      Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)
      and
      the archives
      (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html ).

      Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the
      website!