Mailscanner on Freebsd

Raylund Lai raylund.lai at KANKANWOO.COM
Tue Jan 3 01:26:51 GMT 2006

Here are some of my notes/steps on installing MS on FreeBSD 6.  I'm not
having time to sort them out and some are not relevant to you (it's a
mail gateway), but you could follow the logic in setting up.

Cheers
Raylund

Free BSD 6 Installation
 1. sysinstall Main Menu
     +  Standard
 2. Install Boot Manager for boot drive
     +  Standard - Install a standard MBR (no boot manager)
 3. Choose Distributions
     +  [8] User
         o  Install FreeBSD ports collection - No
     +  [B] Custom
         o  src
             o  All
 4. enable SSH login - Yes
 5. enable Linux binary compatibility - No
 6. browse the FreeBSD package collection - Yes
     +  perl-5.8.7
 7. add initial user account - No
Installation of ports
 1. cd /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin/
     +  make
     +  make install
     +  /usr/local/lib/webmin/setup.sh
     +  cd /etc/
     +  cp rc.conf rc.conf.ORIG
     +  vi rc.conf
         o  add: webmin_enable="YES"
         o  or echo 'webmin_enable="YES"' >> rc.conf
 2. cd /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-ClamAV/
     +  make
     +  make install
 3. cd /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-Spamassassin/
     +  make
         o  select AS_ROOT, RAZOR, SPF_QUERY only
     +  make install
 4. cd /usr/ports/security/f-prot/
     +  make
     +  make install
 5. install BitDefender
     +  cd /usr/ports/distfiles/
     +  fetch -v
        ftp://ftp.bitdefender.com/pub/freebsd/5/final/bdc-7.0.1.2-fbsd5.tar.gz
     +  cd /usr/ports/security/bdc/
     +  make
     +  make install
     +  vi rc.conf
         o  add: compat5x_enable="YES"
         o  or echo 'compat5x_enable="YES"' >> rc.conf
 6. cd /usr/ports/misc/compat4x/ (somehow bdc needs compat4x instead of
    compat5x, may be fixed already)
     +  make
     +  make install
     +  vi rc.conf
         o  add: compat4x_enable="YES"
         o  or echo 'compat4x_enable="YES"' >> rc.conf
 7. cd /usr/ports/mail/mailscanner/
     +  make
     +  make install
     +  make initial-config
 8. cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/
     +  make
     +  make install
 9. reboot
10. pkgdb -F
Configuration of sendmail
 1. cd /etc/mail/
 2. cp freebsd.mc freebsd.mc.ORIG
 3. cp access.sample access
 4. cp mailertable.sample mailertable
 5. vi freebsd.mc
     +  add: FEATURE(`relay_hosts_only')
     +  add: define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings, ...,
        nobodyreturn')
     +  dnl FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
     +  dnl FEATURE(virtusertable,....)
     +  dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv6,...)
 6. m4 /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc > sendmail.cf
 7. vi mailertable
     +  only entry is: yourdomain.com smtp:[192.168.0.1]
 8. makemap hash mailertable < mailertable
 9. vi access
     +  only entry is: Connect:192.168.0.1 RELAY
10. makemap hash access < access
11. vi relay-domains
     +  only entry is: yourdomain.com
12. cd /etc/
13. vi rc.conf
     +  add: sendmail_enable="NONE"
     +  or echo 'sendmail_enable="NONE"' >> rc.conf
Install milter-ahead
 1. transfer downloaded files (www.SnertSoft.com) of LibSnert and
    milter-ahead to ~/tmp/
 2. cd ~/tmp/
 3. tar zxvf libsnert-1.48.tar.gz
 4. tar zxvf milter-ahead-0.9.tar.gz
 5. cd ~/tmp/com/snert/src/lib/
 6. ./configure --without-db
 7. make build
 8. cd ../milter-ahead
 9. ./configure --without-db
10. make build
11. make install
12. modify /etc/mail/freebsd.mc accordingly
Configuration of MailScanner
 1. mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/
 2. mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/
 3. mkdir /var/spool/mqueue.in/
 4. chgrp daemon /var/spool/MailScanner
 5. chgrp daemon /var/spool/MailScanner/*
 6. chgrp daemon /var/spool/mqueue.in
 7. cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
 8. cp mta.sh.sample mta.sh
 9. cp mailscanner.sh.sample mailscanner.sh
10. cd /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp/
11. cp mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf.sample mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf
12. mkdir /var/spool/spamassassin/
13. chgrp daemon /var/spool/spamassassin
14. edit/create file bounce.rules to /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/
15. edit/create file notices.to.rules to
    /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/
16. edit/create file spam.checks.rules to
    /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/
17. edit/create file spam.header.rules to
    /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/
18. edit/create file virus.scanning.rules to
    /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/rules/
19. edit /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
20. edit /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
21. edit /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf
22. edit /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/bitdefender-autoupdate
23. edit /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/f-prot-autoupdate
24. add cron job for update_virus_scanners every 15 minutes
     +  crontab -e
     +  6,21,36,51 * * * *
        /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/update_virus_scanners
25. transfer file bayes_backup /var/spool/spamassassin/
26. restore bayes backup

BB wrote:
      After the mailscanner install it gives a brief message to
      make the install complete.

      Something like -

      make config

      Don't recall exactly but you will see it.  It copes all the
      sample filename extensions to the usable ones.

      I have not installed mailscanner on 6.x .  Haven't heard of
      any problems on 6.x

      Use the standard cvsup so your not running on the bleeding
      edge.