Mailscanner on Freebsd

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Mon Jan 2 20:43:49 GMT 2006

On 2 Jan 2006, at 18:45, Julian Field wrote:

> Need to install Mail::SPF::Query
>
> Install the following:
> make install name=clamav
> make install name=p5-Mail-ClamAV
> make install name=p5-DBI
> make install name=p5-Net-Ident
>
> You need to make all the queue directories by hand and rename all
> the silly .sample files freebsd seems to use, which just makes life
> harder for you.
>
> Start by getting the modules installed.
> /usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/MailScanner -v
> shoulud produce everything installed except Mail::ClamAV, Net::LDAP
> and SAVI, they aren't needed.
> Then hunt /usr/local for every ".sample" file and rename them so
> they don't end in that.
> mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
> mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
>
> That should be enough to get you started.
>
> If you could document what you do and add it to the wiki at
> wiki.mailscanner.info that would be *REALLY* helpful for other people.

I have MailScanner running on FreeBSD 6 boxes with out problem. As I
understand (From the FBSD site) 6 is the current production release.
They regard everything else as 'legacy'.

The 'silly' .sample files are there to stop any existing files being
automatically over written when the port is updated but if you make
sure you don't run make clean after installation, JP has kindly added
a load of text that describes how to rename the .sample files to
working copies (For the reports, and auto update scripts and the
wrapper scripts and a MailScanner.conf if this is a new install). If
you have MS running on another machine with a MailScanner.conf file
you would like to use, just drop a copy in to /usr/local/etc/
MailScanner (Make this) before you run the port installation and you
will find the port install will upgrade your MailScanner.conf
automatically as well. In this same directory you will find some
more .sample files, which you can either remove the .sample ending if
you don't have copies or diff them if this is an upgrade (Hence them
being installed as .sample) and delete them if not required.

You will need to make the queue files as the port doesn't know which
MTA you will be using and you will also need to rename the start up
scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, where you will also find a start up
called mta.sh.sample which you can use to start your Exim or Sendmail
MTA.

HTH

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous