OT Advice for server reinstalation

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Sat Feb 25 19:11:15 GMT 2006

shrek-m at gmx.de spake the following on 2/24/2006 9:30 AM:

>>> You are going to need a lot of swap space to run that lot with 256MB
>>> of ram!
>>>

>> I do not want to argue, but that lot is runing also now, and vmstat
>> says, that swapped is less then 8MB (7556kB), and even during
>> longer period of vmstat runing are si and so columns still zero.
>> But maybe I am interpreting some numbers wrong :-(
>> I forgot mention that server is for only small group (15PCs) and with
>> very low mail volume (about 200 to 300 mails per day), so load
>> is realy low.
>>

> similiar to my fedora servers:  800 mhz, 128 mb ram 2 x 80 gb ide raid0
> it is ok for 25 clients   internet + mail + mysql
> i get no money for the linuxbox because all is ok - but thousands of
> euros are spent for m$-windows clients+servers

That is why I get the servers cast off by the "windows" people for being too
slow, and make great servers for non-profits and church organizations. The
windows people get rid of their cast offs that won't run the "bloatware" and
an organization with no money gets far more than they could ever hope for.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and