Stopping?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 24 05:00:08 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 22:37 -0600, Mark McCoy wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Thanks but I have already done that, but I have just noticed I have a
> > > K30sendmail:
> > >
> > > # cd /etc/rc3.d/
> > > # ls -lh | grep sendmail
> > > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 fév 23 17:06 K30sendmail ->../init.d/sendmail
> > >
> > > Should I delete it?
> > >
> > > Best Regards
> > >

> > Some more:
> >
> > # find /etc -name *sendmail
> > /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
> > /etc/sysconfig/sendmail
> > /etc/log.d/scripts/services/sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K30sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K30sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/K30sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K30sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K30sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K30sendmail
> > /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K30sendmail
> > /etc/alternatives/mta-sendmail
>

> Don't erase any of these!!
>
> Well, you could erase the ''K30sendmail'' files since they simply make
> sure that sendmail is stopped when you leave that runlevel (when
> shutting down or going to single-user mode, etc...), but they aren't
> hurting anything if they are there.  The other files in this list are
> absolutely necessary.
----
the K30 scripts are needed by MailScanner to 'stop' sendmail - don't
remove
----

> Your problem might be caused when logrotate runs to rotate your logs.
> It could be creating the new log with the wrong user or wrong
> permissions, and the sendmail or mailscanner daemon dies because it
> can no longer write to the file it was writing to.  I had a web server
> daemon that was doing that this week.  Look in ''/etc/logrotate.d/''
> for a sendmail or mailscanner log and make sure it has a setting for
> the same user/group that sendmail and/or mailscanner is running as.
----
on CentOS 4...

# cat /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
/var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler /var/log/boot.log /var/log/cron {
    sharedscripts
    postrotate
        /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null`
2> /dev/null || true
    endscript
}

rotation of /var/log/maillog seems to be entirely independent of user id
for MTA. If I am mistaken, then someone will tell me.

In short, once a week death of MailScanner would track if 'sendmail'
service were set to 'on' for the runlevel but he has confirmed that it
is indeed off. I simply don't know but the configuration seems to be
correct.

Craig