Stopping?

Mark McCoy realmcking at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 04:37:38 GMT 2006

On 2/23/06, Laurent Dinclaux <lox at birdy.nc> wrote:
> Laurent Dinclaux a écrit :
> >> chkconfig sendmail off
> >> chkconfig MailScanner on
> >>
> >> I'm guessing that things get messed up when the logs rotate weekly
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks but I have already done that, but I have just noticed I have a
> > K30sendmail:
> >
> > # cd /etc/rc3.d/
> > # ls -lh | grep sendmail
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 fév 23 17:06 K30sendmail ->../init.d/sendmail
> >
> > Should I delete it?
> >
> > Best Regards
> >

> Some more:
>
> # find /etc -name *sendmail
> /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
> /etc/sysconfig/sendmail
> /etc/log.d/scripts/services/sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K30sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K30sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/K30sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K30sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K30sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K30sendmail
> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K30sendmail
> /etc/alternatives/mta-sendmail

Don't erase any of these!!

Well, you could erase the ''K30sendmail'' files since they simply make
sure that sendmail is stopped when you leave that runlevel (when
shutting down or going to single-user mode, etc...), but they aren't
hurting anything if they are there.  The other files in this list are
absolutely necessary.

Your problem might be caused when logrotate runs to rotate your logs.
It could be creating the new log with the wrong user or wrong
permissions, and the sendmail or mailscanner daemon dies because it
can no longer write to the file it was writing to.  I had a web server
daemon that was doing that this week.  Look in ''/etc/logrotate.d/''
for a sendmail or mailscanner log and make sure it has a setting for
the same user/group that sendmail and/or mailscanner is running as.

--
Mark McCoy -- Professional Unix geek

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am
not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that
could provoke such a question. "  -- Charles Babbage