x86_64 mail servers

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 13:35:24 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 11:39 -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Greg Matthews wrote:
> > I've installed on a SMP Opteron box and the only stumbling block is that
> > Sophos AV is 32 bit only so you cant use the Sophos::SAVI libraries to
> > interface to it. Instead, you call sophos directly.
> >

> Did you know that you can run 64 bit and 32 bit binaries on an AMD64
> cpu? Just enable your OS to do so.

yes I realise that, but I've installed the 64 bit OS so the perl binary
is 64 bit which makes integrating the SAVI module and the sophos AV
stuff difficult.

Presumably, I could install a 32 bit perl and run the whole MS stuff on
that instead of the 64 bit perl. For the time being I'm happy to use the
Sophos 32 bit binary directly for the time being. And I wont be
upgrading my production hardware to 64 bit for another 12 months or so,
by which time sophos may have got their act together wrt to 64 bit
binaries.

Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford