no messages tagged as spam

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 13 00:02:08 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 12:43 -0800, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> Have a bit of an odd one... Not sure if this is an MS, MW or SA problem, or a
> combination.
>
> I setup 2 mailscanner boxes running
>
> mailscanner-4.49.7-1
> spamassassin-3.1.0-1
> postfix-2.1.5-4.2.RHEL4
> mailwatch 1.03
>
> The boxes have essentially identical software (centos 4.2 and updates) and
> and configurations, except that they have different ip address scopes,
> hostnames and are setup for different domains, the hardware is pretty much
> identical.  The only other thing different between the working system and the
> non working system is I upgraded the perl cpan stuff from the cpan shell on
> the non working system before installing SA, MS and MW.
>
>     install Bundle::CPAN,  reload cpan
>
> Config files for both for SA, MS and MW and postfix came from another test
> machine.
>
> On one machine, all is working fine, in MW can see listings of mail flowing
> through the system including ones tagged as spam. On the other system I can
> see all the messages that have come through the system but NONE of the 200 or
> so messages has been tagged as spam when at least 2/3 of them are blatantly
> spam.
>
> If I display the SA bayes database report in MW, its shows that stuff is
> being recognized as spam
>
> Bayes Database Information Number of Spam Messages:	83
> Number of Ham Messages:	117
> Number of Tokens:	5,545
> Oldest Token:	Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:57:47 -0800
> Newest Token:	Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:00:03 -0800
> Last Journal Sync:	Wed, 31 Dec 1969 16:00:00 -0800
> Last Expiry:	Wed, 31 Dec 1969 16:00:00 -0800
> Last Expiry Reduction Count:	0 tokens
>
> I reduced the level to have something tagged as spam to 2 the MS conf file
>
> Required SpamAssassin Score = 2
>
> Looking at the recent messages list in MW, most of the blattant spam is only
> getting at most a 1.6 score. Some of the messages are getting a 0.00 score.
>
> Not sure what I am missing or what I should be looking at to resolve this.
>
> Suggestions???
----
not sure what you are updating via cpan but you should realize that when
you have rpm based perl you should probably stay away from cpan and use
rpm based perl modules - pretty much all you should ever need is in
CentOS and dag repositories and whatever is missing will be supplied by
the mailscanner rpm install. I have noticed though, on a new setup, if I
install mailscanner, a subsequent yum update will update several perl
modules installed by mailscanner from dag's repository.

this is what my install on a machine where I installed mailscanner 6
months ago looks like (probably should update mailscanner)...

# rpm -qa|grep perl
perl-URI-1.30-4
perl-libwww-perl-5.79-5
perl-Convert-ASN1-0.18-3
perl-MailTools-1.67-2.2.el4.rf
perl-Net-CIDR-0.11-1.2.el4.rf
perl-5.8.5-24.RHEL4
perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-30
perl-libxml-enno-1.02-31
perl-Net-DNS-0.48-1
perl-Cyrus-2.2.12-9
perl-Archive-Zip-1.16-1.2.el4.rf
perl-Time-HiRes-1.55-3
perl-Convert-BinHex-1.119-2.2.el4.rf
perl-DBI-1.40-8
mod_perl-1.99_16-4.centos4
perl-Parse-Yapp-1.05-32
perl-XML-Dumper-0.71-2
perl-LDAP-0.31-5
perl-Digest-SHA1-2.07-5
perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9004-3.1
perl-Date-Calc-5.3-9
MailScanner-perl-MIME-Base64-3.05-5
perl-IO-stringy-2.110-1.2.el4.rf
perl-DateManip-5.42a-3
perl-XML-Encoding-1.01-26
perl-Digest-HMAC-1.01-13
perl-Bit-Vector-6.3-3
perl-TimeDate-1.1301-3
perl-Net-LDAP-0.3202-1.2.el4.rf
perl-Filter-1.30-6
newt-perl-1.08-7
perl-XML-Parser-2.34-5
perl-XML-SAX-0.12-7
perl-DBD-Pg-1.31-6
perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-3.2.el4.rf
perl-Authen-SASL-2.09-1.2.el4.rf
perl-IO-Socket-SSL-0.97-1.2.el4.rf
perl-MIME-tools-5.419-1.2.el4.rf
perl-libxml-perl-0.07-30
perl-XML-NamespaceSupport-1.08-6
perl-HTML-Parser-3.45-1
perl-Net-SSLeay-1.25-3.2.el4.rf
perl-Compress-Zlib-1.41-1.2.el4.rf
perl-File-Tail-0.99.3-1.2.el4.rf

Note that all of the perl modules installed by mailscanner are listed as
well as the ones coming from dag (have the .rf designation) - NONE are
installed from CPAN

If you continue to install perl modules from CPAN, your risk messing
things up.

Craig