email problem primer

hermit921 hermit921 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 21:31:07 GMT 2006

This is a bit off-topic, but I am trying to get out of searching
MailScanner logs when a problem is more easily solved by the end user or
their PC support.

I need to write a simple document about analyzing email problems.  This
will not be given to PC support staff who know almost nothing about
email.  I know it will need to include:
1. how to determine who sent the message
2. how to determine who should have received the message
3. read a returned error message and figure out what it means
4. look at the headers and figure out what mail servers were involved and when

It will not be mail client specific.  It will not include looking at mail
logs.  It will not be mail server specific.

Does anyone have such a document already?

Thanks,
hermit921