More problems than just ALL_TRusted

Richard Edge Edge at twu.ca
Mon Feb 6 18:03:35 GMT 2006

Well it looks like I have a few other issues here that may or may not be
part of my mailscanner.cf file not being read. I upgraded MailScanner
this morning from 4.50.14-2 beta to 4.50.12 stable and now after running
MailScanner --lint and --debug I am seeing some errors. I had run the
debug option on previous installs of MailScanner (after every upgrade)
without problems, but with this new version I am seeing errors I have
never seen before.

On mx10.twu.ca --lint shows:

[root at mx10 root]# MailScanner --lint
Could not read file /var/run/MailScanner.pid at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 2278
Error in line 157, file "/var/run/MailScanner.pid" for pidfile does not
exist (or can not be read) at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm
line 2440
Syntax error in line 1480, value "" for spamblacklist is not one of
allowed values "yes","no" at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm
line 2360
Syntax error in line 1473, value "" for spamwhitelist is not one of
allowed values "yes","no" at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm
line 2360
Possible syntax error on line 26 of /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf
at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 1274
Remember to separate fields with tab characters! at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 1276
Read 702 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
Cannot write pid file , No such file or directory at
/usr/sbin/MailScanner line 1238
MailScanner setting GID to  (89)
MailScanner setting UID to  (89)
Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_GUARANTEE
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_BILLION
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_XPILL
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_PRESCRIPT
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_SOFTWARE
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule SUBJECT_FUZZY_TION
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_PHARMACY
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_TRAMADOL
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_OFFERS
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule SUBJECT_FUZZY_VPILL
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_MEDICATION
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_CREDIT
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_THOUSANDS
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_CPILL
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_OBLIGATION
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule SUBJECT_FUZZY_PENIS
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_MONEY
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule SUBJECT_FUZZY_MEDS
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_CELEBREX
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_FOLLOW
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_PLEASE
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_VICODIN
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_ERECT
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_VLIUM
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_MILLION
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_AFFORDABLE
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_REMOVE
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_ROLEX
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_AMBIEN
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_MORTGAGE
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_PRICES
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_REFINANCE
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_VIOXX
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule SUBJECT_FUZZY_CHEAP
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_VPILL
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_PHENT
config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FUZZY_MILF
SpamAssassin reported an error.

MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamavmodule mcafee"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule, mcafee
-------------------------

MailScanner --debug shows:

--------------------------

In Debugging mode, not forking...
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1008.
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1010.
LibClamAV Warning:
LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.
***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html
***
LibClamAV Warning:
Ignore errors about failing to find EOCD signature
----------------

And it freezes at the above line. On mx20.twu.ca MailScanner --lint and
debug gives me:

----------------
[root at mx20 MailScanner]# MailScanner --lint
Cannot open config file --lint, No such file or directory at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 597.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 67.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 67.
----------------

During the install (I used install.sh and RPM package) I didn't noticed
any errors that would cause me to think there was a problem with the
install. Now I am even more kerfuffled.

I have upgrade from 4.37 with every new stable release and two of the
4.50 betas without any problems previously other then the ALL_TRUSTED
issues I have a;ready reported. The odd thing is that email is being
received, scanned and forwarded on to our Exchange servers fine.

Richard Edge
Senior Systems Administrator | Technology Services
Trinity Western University | t: 604.513.2089
f: 604.513.2038 | e: edge <at> twu.ca| www.twu.ca/technology