MailScanner lint errors?

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Mon Feb 6 14:33:10 GMT 2006

Julian,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Field" <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: MailScanner lint errors?

> On 6 Feb 2006, at 14:05, Steve Campbell wrote:
>
>> Julian,
>>
>> I'm seeing the same with respect to the PID file. My conf file
>> points to /var/run/ and the file does exist.
>
> I'll take a look at this problem. What are your "Run As User" and
> "Run As Group" set to?

These are set to <blank>, nothing. The PID file is owned by root.root.

This does not seem to affect anything and MS runs with the error.

>> I'm also seeing the dual restart problem, where I am required to
>> start MS twice if I stop it. I alway need to 'killall sendmail',
>> but this doesn't cause the need to start MS twice. There are no
>> sendmail processes running before I start MS. There are no log
>> errors, it just doesn't start. I just thought I would mention this
>> off-thread part in case it might have something to do with the PID
>> problem.
>
> Most likely cause is not waiting long enough between stopping and
> starting. If there are any MailScanner processes still clearing up,
> then it won't start.
> Just restarting it again will extend the delay.

I'll check the MailScanner processes before the next manual restarts.

Thanks again. (I can never say that enough to you, Mr. Field)

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers