How do I whitelist mail from internal processes?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Feb 5 13:33:28 GMT 2006

Alex Pimperton wrote:
> I went to whitelist 127.0.0.1/my external IP but after checking the
> headers I realised there's no IP address I can whitelist as the headers
> are misssing the "Received: from" part.
>
> My headers look like:

> To: root at erus.co.uk
>
> How can I whitelist email that comes from internal processes
> (LogWatch,Cron etc) without having to whitelist all email that arrives
> for root?

Don't worry, MailScanner doesn't use the headers, it gets the IP from
the envelope, and puts in 127.0.0.1 if there isn't one. So if the MTA is
invoked locally, the ip address will be 127.0.0.1.

MailScanner will take pretty much any form of netword address you can
come up with, so
From:   127.0.0.1   no
FromOrTo: default   yes
should work just fine.