New speed benchmark

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 16:47:39 GMT 2006

On 04/02/06, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
> > BTW, Jules ... Could you, pretty please, look at my post about typos
> > in actions? Or has that area been covered extensively before?
> >
> A patch for Message.pm is attached. Apply the patch with
>
> cd /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner
> gunzip Message.pm.patch.gz
> patch < Message.pm.patch
>
> then restart MailScanner.
>
> It logs the error message to syslog and then adds the "deliver" action
> to whatever you have set, just for safety so that no message is dropped
> because of your typo.
>
> Due to the the list of spam actions is now parsed, as it has arbitrary
> strings (including possibly multiple spaces) for headers, and email
> addresses in it, it is no longer just a list of possible words. So it
> cannot be caught by --lint.
>
> So it can only be detected when it is called at run-time, hence the
> extra safety measure of adding the "deliver" action.
>
> Let me know how you get on.

Will apply it come monday! Thanks!
Thought that might be why, and ... dreaded... that would be the effect. Oh well.
Checks in the logs and comparisons to the final destinations show that
during the short while it was wrong, I dropped approximately 350
messages... Boy, do I feel the fool (I'll need use a brown paper bag
for several weeks, I know:-). Of all those mails, 1 (one!) was asked
about... So what were the rest? Mostly "crucial market data and
analysis"... Not spam though, the real deal. My users get way to much
mail/head to be able to read them all, not to mention miss any.. My
fat fingers only saving grace:-)

--
-- Glenn