MS Slow after update to 4.50.14 on suse

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:02:27 GMT 2006

On 03/02/06, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2006, at 09:49, Glenn Steen wrote:

> >> Check you upgrade_MailScanner_conf or upgrade_languages_conf (one is
> >> a link to the other) for this code
> >>
> >> Usage() unless $oldfname &&    $newfname &&
> >>              -f $oldfname && -f $newfname &&
> >>              -s $oldfname && -s $newfname;
> >>
> >> That really should do the job.
> >>
> > :-)
> > Not really... The instructions are the in the Usage itself:
> > --------------------
> > RPM
> > ===
> > If you are using the RPM distributions then try this:
> >
> > cd /etc/MailScanner/reports/en
> > upgrade_languages_conf languages.conf languages.conf.rpmnew >
> > languages.new
> > mv -f languages.conf languages.old
> > mv -f languages.new  languages.conf
> > ---------------------
> > Now, the upgrade thing behaves exactly right, BUT you still create a
> > zero-lenght file because the Usage is printed to STDERR, and _nothing_
> > to STDOUT. Sure, it's pretty obvious whatwith the Usage carooming by
> > on the screen, but still... If you try to make all this "unattended"
> > or is a bit preoccupied with other things (that'd be me:-) it just
> > _might_ slip by (not that I did let that happen, mind you:-).
> > Note that this is singularly for when you do a cut'n'paste _from the
> > Usage itself_. So having a few words about _not doing it if there's no
> > rpmnew file_ might be a good idea. Specifically since this tend to
> > crop up from time to time:-).
>
> So if the Usage is printed, I need to cat the incoming file to stdout
> as well. Will that fix it? I'm not sure I 100% understand you if that
> is not right.

Nah, just change the text in the Usage from

If you are using the RPM distributions then try this:

If you are using the RPM distributions, and have a langauges.rpmnew
file,  then try this:

or change the sugegsted commands to

upgrade_languages_conf languages.conf languages.conf.rpmnew > languages.new
test -f languages.conf.rpmnew && mv -f languages.conf languages.old
test -f languages.conf.rpmnew && mv -f languages.new  languages.conf
&& rm -f languages.conf.rpmnew

... The final rm could of course be an "mv -f langages.conf.rpmnew
languages.conf.rpmnew.done", so that one don't lose the rpmnew file...
It's just a suggestion though:-).
--
-- Glenn