MailScanner needs to be restarted 2 times

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Feb 2 21:42:08 GMT 2006

Rob Freeman spake the following on 2/2/2006 12:44 PM:
> Kevin Droz wrote:
>> I'm running MailScanner 4.48.4-2 using SpamAssassin 3.1.0-1. Ever since I
>> enabled SpamAssassin and make a change I need to restart MailScanner
>> twice
>> before it stays up. When I look in the log I see MailScanner trying to
>> start, it stops responding after this line "started as:
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail
>> -q15m -OPidFile=/var/run/sendmail.out.pid" I do another restart and it
>> starts working fine. I don't know if it's timing with activity in the
>> mail
>> server or maybe a lack of ram. My machine is low end Celeron with only
>> 128
>> MB of ram.
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Kevin.
>>

> We run a pause in the mailscanner restart switch so to make sure all
> instances of sendmail are shutoff before mailscanner starts back up.  I
> am thinking since this is a slower box, the sendmails are still active
> when your mailscanner tries to start back up.
>
> Rob
The default during a restart is a 10 second pause.
You might be bypassing this if you are doing a stop, immediately followed by a
start.
If 10 seconds isn't enough, it is easy enough to find in the MailScanner init
script.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and