Integration with QMail!

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:15:01 GMT 2006

On 01/02/06, Doug Hall <DougHall at sankyo.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for integrating MS with
> QMail, (if possible)

Could you be more specific? We use multiple MailScanner/Sendmail
systems as front end relays with Qmail/Vpopmail/@Mail on multiple back
end servers.

Mail generated via Webmail on (or relayed through for some legacy
stuff) each of the Qmail servers is relayed out to the MailScanner
servers by default with a setting in /var/qmail/control/smtproutes.

:mailscanner.domain.net

Where mailscanner.domain.net is a round-robin DNS record pointing with
equal priority to the MailScanners. From the Bind zone file...

; round-robin the results for mailscanner.domain.net

mailscanner     60      A       192.168.1.10
mailscanner     60      A       192.168.1.11

The IPs of the Qmail servers are included in /etc/mail/access in the
Sendmail config to allow RELAYing.

Everything from /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts and morercpthosts from
Qmail goes into /etc/mail/local-host-names so Sendmail knows to handle
mail for those domains.

rcpthosts and morercpthosts also go in ldap_domains because we use
this in conjunction with mailhost.db to ensure we only accept mail for
known valid users then route this on to mail.domain.net internally.
mail.domain.net is effectively the Qmail servers load-balanced via LVS
but could easily be round-robin DNS too.

# "LDAP" domains we want to relay for.
# See http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/270.html

/etc/mail/mailertable is used for special mail routing that shouldn't
be delivered to the Qmail boxes.

Any domains you relay out for but don't necessarily handle their
incoming MX need to go into relay-domains.

I need to get round to thoroughly documenting and diagramming how we
did this, if I do I'll sanitize it and put it in the Wiki. If you have
any specific questions just ask (preferably on-list for the benefit of
the archives) and I'll do what I can.

Will.