ALL_TRUSTED problems

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 22:55:48 GMT 2006

On 01/02/06, dnsadmin 1bigthink.com <dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com> wrote:
> At 04:06 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:

> > > Hi Glenn,
> > >
> > > The "guts" are in spamassassin, of course... Matt Kettler has covered
> > > this extensively on this list in the past (how it works, what it is
> > > and what to do about it getting misdetected)... Pehraps one of those
> > > would turn up if you search the list archives (on gmane) for kettler
> > > and trusted_path:-).

> > > You should set trusted_networks to your mailservers IP addresses
> > (or network).
> > > IIRC this is suggested in spam.assassin.prefs.conf / mailscanner.cf ....

> > > --
> > > -- Glenn
> > > email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
> > > work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
> > >
> >Here's a link to one (with Jules reply... First hit, and I'm too lazy
> >to find the original:-):
> >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.virus.mailscanner/26152/match=kettler+trust+path
> >
> >--
>
> Thanks Glenn,
>
> I read the whole thread dated 03/08- 03/10/2005. I still don't see
> the resolution. I am not NAt'd. I am not gatewayed. I am cleared by
> my ISP to answer direct DNS PTR. I love Sprint, by the way! Nor do I
> see why this was all of a sudden a factor on my server, when I can't
> say that it has been in the past. Could I have missed it?

Perhaps. Happens o the best (IOW, I've done so myself:-)

> It is possible, since I have Dynamic DNS customers on a Verizon
> network, and the IP neighborhood was close on this nasty spam, that
> SA was making an educated guess?

As far as I can understand, the whole trust thing in SA is just
that:-). Matt's the expert though, and will perhaps shed some further
light on this.
But whatever way one looks at it, being specific (and correct) by
setting a trusted_networks  entry, just can't be wrong.

>   I've been sitting on MailScanner version 4.41.3 for quite some time
> and was preparing to upgrade this weekend.

Go for it! The new stable version is well worth the work. If one feels
like one needs a mental handhold, there's a pretty nice piece on
upgrading in the MAQ. Even good for us "read the manual _after_ the
fact" types:-).

--
-- Glenn