fetchmail/MS long shot

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 12:47:05 CET 2006

On 29/12/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> Michael Masse spake the following on 12/29/2006 1:28 PM:
> > I've read the archives and the wiki and have found plenty of information
> > on using fetchmail to pop messages from one email system and insert them
> > into another, but what I'm trying to do is a bit different, so I thought
> > I'd ask.     A certain ISP does a really bad job of spam detection and I
> > know it's possible to use fetchmail to download all of the mail from
> > that ISP and do MS / SA scanning on the mail, but is there a way to then
> > stick the ham email back on the ISP inbox so that the user doesn't
> > really have to do anything different in particular?   The problem I see
> > is how would fetchmail then know which messages have been scanned
> > already?   I'm not married to fetchmail if there is a better way to do
> > what I'm looking for BTW.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> The simple solution would be to use fetchmail from the ISP, and have the user
> pop the mail from your server. Otherwise, you would just keep getting the same
> ham messages over and over again.

An alternative, if you don't want to expose your server to the net
(for POP/IMAP/Webmail), would be to have fetchmail deliver to a local
alias which (after MS&friends) expand to a second address at the
ISPs... Would make the user "plunder" a second account for HAM, while
you get a go at all the nice SPAM&HAM once, and once only.

Obviously not a solution one would want to maintain for large amounts
of users:-).

--
-- Glenn