Why doesn't DCC help against image spam?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 21:35:16 CET 2006

On 26/12/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> Scott Silva spake the following on 12/26/2006 10:27 AM:
> > Ken A spake the following on 12/26/2006 9:50 AM:

> >> "What's in a Julsnaps?", said the curious fellow in California?
> >> I can't have one unless I know how to make it!
> >> :-)
> >> Ken A
> >> Pacific.Net
> > Glenn could answer this better, but it is an herbal liquor found in the Nordic
> > regions of europe. It is usually served as close to frozen as you can get any
> > form of alcohol. It has a distinct kind of nutty-fruity taste, and seems to
> > have a fairly high alcohol content. I haven't had it for more than 20 years,
> > but I still remember it. And I have not had anything like it since.
> >
> > So since you can't "make" it, you might be able to find some in a place like
> > Bevmo in California. Some variations are called akvavit, but if I remember
> > correctly, Julesnaps is a variety served around the christmas holidays.
> >
> Sorry -- meant to send that off-list.
Well, off-topic, but basically correct.... Not that bad a performance Scott;-).

Actually, you can very well make your own... Get some basically
flavourless alcohol (vodka style ... Absolut, if you can't get Renat
or Brännvin Special or somesuch), put in the herbs/flavourings you
like, steep for a few weeks (time depends on the herbs), strain it (my
"cooking english" is even worse than my usual... "Remove all solid
parts from the fluid"), coll it to about 4 degrees celsius (you _can_
serve it warmer... but 4-8 degrees is best), serve in small vessels
... about 4-8 centiliters. Down them whole, or in quarter increments,
preferably to pickeled herring(!), but should go well as a side drink
to any food.
Fennel and anis are common flavourings, but... you can experiment:-D.

If you're looking for the treat Scott is talking about it's probably
Aalborgs Juleakvavit (made in Denmark), a very richly flavoured
akvavit. One of my personal favourites... Then again, I like most of
them (whether made in Denmark, Norway or Sweden:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn