Work Dir is not cleaned up

Fri Dec 22 15:45:06 CET 2006

Dear Glenn,

> Thorsten, stop right there!
> The piece of language you have above implies that you still use the
> _unsafe_ and _deprecated_ defer method with Postfix. Please tell me
> you don't...

...well, ehm, I did ;-)
The howto, I used about three years ago, indeed described the setup
based on two instances of postfix. Thanks for the hint, in the meantime
I configured the services to make use of the HOLD method.

> This is indeed true, it is an old error. I'm in part guilty for both
> the introduction (and the fix, along with Spike Cacti, IIRC:-)...
> Because PF queue IDs aren't "random enough" for SQL logging purposes,
> I badgered Jules into introducing the .XXXXX randomness... Which broke
> the cleanup of the work dir. The fix was simply to add in the "." in
> the match for the cleanup-able stuff.
> I don't want to go digging it up... It's in the mail list archives;-).
> You really should abandon that old MS version and go with a newer
> one... Either by using the tarball install, or going unstable, or
> switching OS/distro completely. Debian stable is just too moldy when
> it comes to this.

Hoping for an upcoming release of Etch I'm going to keep the old version
of MailScanner, at least for some weeks. But in case the release gets
delayed, I might try to backport the current Debian sources to Sarge.

kind regards, thanks again,
   Thorsten