OT: REGEXP

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Fri Dec 15 18:31:19 GMT 2006

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 12/12/06, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:

>> Disclaimer: I know regexes VERY well, but postfix not at all.
> Well, I'll comment on the postfix side then:-). ISTR I was the one
> helping Pete out last time:-).
> (snip)
>> Provided there's not some weirdness in postfix that forces regexes
>> to match full-text, you can simplify further to:
> No "weirdness" to talk about. Postfix supports both POSIX regexps and
> Perl compatible regexps ("man regexp_table pcre_table" shows the
> difference in the postfix config, "man [5|7] regex" or "man 7
> re_format" (or similar, depending on OS) documents POSIX REs, while
> the usual perl docs on REs document the pcre part).

Fair enough.. Like I said, I know nothing about postfix, so I was merely being
cautious.

I've seen several tools with "regex" support that's really not quite normal.
Most of those are Windows platform tools, but I'd not be surprised to see some
*nix tools with home-grown versions of regex in an attempt to avoid some syntax
elements that the author deems too slow.

I didn't think postfix would do that, but not knowing anything about it....