Sloppy error checking in MS code

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Fri Dec 15 17:55:56 GMT 2006

Recently on the postfix mailling lists, there was a debate on the usage
of postfix  + mailscanner. I claimed that I've been using the two for
some time now, without any problems. However one of the folks on the
lists stated the following:

---
On Thursday December 14 2006 07:30, Mike Jakubik wrote:
 > > Could you backup this documented fact please? Are you sure you are not
 > > referring to a bug in an obsolete version of mailscanner? If this
was an
 > > issue, im quite certain some of my users would complain.

Look at its code. There are literally hundreds of instances where a
status from a system call is just ignored (getline, print, close, flush,
stat, mkdir, chown, unlink, exec, system..., sometimes even: open).
_Anything_ can happen, and you will never know what hit you,
much less be able to track it down easily, especially if the
problem is intermittent.

  Mark
---

I'm not a perl expert, could someone verify if this is the case? Can MS
really eat emails without any warning?

Thanks.