Mailscanner not scanning queue

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Dec 14 16:02:25 GMT 2006

On Thursday December 14, 2006 at 10:34:51 (AM) Nate wrote:

> Yes, I'm running old versions of postfix and mailscanner, but here are
> my reasons:
>
> 1. I followed the instructions at
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/172 which has you install
> all of the packages from apt.  These are the version that were installed.
>
> 2. I did try getting the latest version of Mailscanner since that was my
> first inkling as well.  However, on
> http://www.mailscanner.info/downloads.html I do not see a plain tarball
> source install.  I see installs for redhat, suse, Solaris/BSD, Debian,
> FreeBSD.  I tried to install the Debian version but it's from unstable
> and so it choked on dependencies.  I'm not afraid of installing the
> latest version from a generic tarball, but I did not see that for
> Mailscanner, which I think is odd.  Am I missing something here?  Where
> is the source tarball?  My only other option is to try re-compiling the
> package, which I've done before, but you really can't expect a lot of
> users to know how to do that, and in my experience it doesn't always
> work very well.
>
> 3. I manage over 200 debian boxes.  When you manage that many,
> consistency is key.  Having a few boxes be in the unstable branch while
> the rest are in stable can cause problems all over the place and make
> your life a living hell.  I know, I've done it before.
>
> So at this point I figured it would be quicker and easier to just ask on
> the list as the author of that install page (Ugo) suggested.  As it is,
> Razor was writing it's log file to the hold queue directory.  So I fixed
> that and we'll see how it goes.

I am not sure if this URL will assist you or not:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=99989&package_id=107401&release_id=383366

Assuming the above link proves useful,  why use the very outdated
Postfix version? You are going to run into problems with the old, less
then 2.3 version of Postfix.. There have been major updates, plus it
appears to work better with Mailscanner. If you intend to use TLS you
really should consider it.

--
Gerard