Mailscanner not scanning queue

Nate nate at seekio.com
Thu Dec 14 15:34:51 GMT 2006

Yes, I'm running old versions of postfix and mailscanner, but here are
my reasons:

1. I followed the instructions at
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/172 which has you install
all of the packages from apt.  These are the version that were installed.

2. I did try getting the latest version of Mailscanner since that was my
first inkling as well.  However, on
http://www.mailscanner.info/downloads.html I do not see a plain tarball
source install.  I see installs for redhat, suse, Solaris/BSD, Debian,
FreeBSD.  I tried to install the Debian version but it's from unstable
and so it choked on dependencies.  I'm not afraid of installing the
latest version from a generic tarball, but I did not see that for
Mailscanner, which I think is odd.  Am I missing something here?  Where
is the source tarball?  My only other option is to try re-compiling the
package, which I've done before, but you really can't expect a lot of
users to know how to do that, and in my experience it doesn't always
work very well.

3. I manage over 200 debian boxes.  When you manage that many,
consistency is key.  Having a few boxes be in the unstable branch while
the rest are in stable can cause problems all over the place and make
your life a living hell.  I know, I've done it before.

So at this point I figured it would be quicker and easier to just ask on
the list as the author of that install page (Ugo) suggested.  As it is,
Razor was writing it's log file to the hold queue directory.  So I fixed
that and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks, Glenn.

Nate